Thursday 1 March 2012

Dress 39 : Under the Sea


People always say you are either a cruise person or you are not.  A few years ago I decided to find out which one I was!  Joy had decided to head on a cruise to celebrate her birthday so Zoe, Fran, Joy and I headed on down to New Orleans to take a cruise out to Mexico.  Cruises in the US are really cheap, I think we paid about 299 for a four night cruise – the airfare down to New Orleans was more expensive than the cruise!

The ship was massive!  My boats to date probably had only been small dingeys, rafts and canoes so the Carnival Cruise ship was definitely the most impressive ship I had ever been on!  We had a small cabin to share with bunks.  On arrival we made a make shift bar in the central are aand a make shift nail bar in the bathroom – after patting the towel made dog on the bed we were set!

We explored the ships different levels and after finding the buffet, 24 hour pizza bar, spas, three night clubs and bars I think I realised being on a cruise wouldn’t be so bad.  Food and drinks whenever you wanted and dancing what more could I want? .. well who would have thought but turning the corner into the gaming room there it was : karaoke!  It turned out there was a karaoke night every night and one during the day.  I was in heaven, food, music, dancing, singing, sunsets and my friends .. plus the adventure of waking up at a new location every day and not having to do anything .. why hadn’t I cruised before!

After singing karaoke the first time the girl running it told me I should enter the guest talent show!  The talent show is on the second last night of the cruise and guests are invited to sing with a live band in a theatre on board that can seat oh around 2000 people!  After a fun day trecking around Chichen Nitza Mexico I was to go and audition.  The entertainment manager handed me a book and it was a list of songs the band could play – the band!  It wasn’t even a backing track eeeekk and no words either!  I had a quick crash course run through for 5 minutes with the band of half of the song and that was it!  Even though the song I had chosen the band didn't have the last page of the music they told me they could wing it - but could I?  I had made it through though ..   I was to sing in the talent show that night!

I was so nervous as it was the biggest amount of people I had ever sung in front of, but stepping on the stage a mass of darkness in front of me the band started playing and it was the buggest rush ever!  I had so much fun in that four minutes I really didn’t want to leave the stage!  The hardest part was balancing on high heels on the stage while the boat rocked as it passed through the Meixcan gulf.  Later that night Fran won the air guitar competition and the boat trophies I had received and she did were proudly displayed back in the cabin.

The other good part about being in the talent show was they filmed it and played it on the internal TV screen through the ship.  Over the next few days I was stopped by random strangers telling me they had either seen me at the show or on TV .. it was like being an overnight star with celebrity status that lasted only two days!

This dress I bought from one of our stops in Mexico.  It reminds me of one fun trip with good friends and the time I got my 5 mins of fame.  I have included my video from singing on the ship .. it also gives a sneak peak of a dress to come!



Dress 37: Under the Sea
Bought: I wrote two years on the other Mexico Dress but I think it was actually three years now!
Price Range: 10.00
From: Mexico
What I like about this dress : It reminds me of good times
Tag Info: Made in Indonesia, Cabali, 100% Rayon
Photo Credit: SACondon

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress and fab story Skye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dress, great story - great singing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This fits you really nicely

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very pretty island dress - I like it and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete